A group of pharmaceutical companies has issued a list of recommendations for improving the transparency and credibility of industry-supported clinical research. The recommendations include:
- Making all findings (including negative findings) public
- Disclosing potential conflicts of interest by publication authors
- Disclosing sources of contributions to journal articles
- Standardizing the reporting of adverse events, and describing adverse events in a way that is clinically meaningful
- Providing complete information on the research protocol and the methods used to analyze the resultant data
- Allowing publication authors to access all data from the trial
Editors of several prominent journals also participated in the working group, which published its findings in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings.